Last Sunday, our beloved little church in GriggsDakota celebrated 125 years of existence. We are not founding members of this congregation. Our pioneer roots are in other area churches, but this is the church our family chose, near to where they eventually settled and now, dear to our hearts.
The first church building, built in 1897, burned down and was replaced with this structure in the early 1950's.
In the choir loft last Sunday were: Grandpa Sonny, Cattleman Jim, Momma Jane, Robbie,
Farmhand Kirsti, Joseph, Hunter, and Little E who was fascinated with the organ and joined the choir spontaneously on the festive day.
During the opening hymn each Sunday, children bring pennies to the front and deposit them into the "Pennies for a Purpose" jar. If a child comes forward without pennies, our pastor usually has a pocketful. When the jar is filled, the money is given to our local nursing home. Children are cherished here.Following is the church blog post which includes the Anniversary Program from the Celebration for anyone who is interested: